Skip to main content

What insurance do I need?

Below is our insurance guide which explains the different types of insurance that are available to you. Depending on the car you drive, among other factors may affect your decision on choosing the type of insurance you require. There are three types of insurance you can get once you pass your test; third party only, third party fire and theft and fully comp.

Third Party Only

Provides cover for causing accidental injury or death to other people and is usually limited at £20 million for accidental damage to other people’s property. Excludes damages to your own vehicle.

Third Party Fire & Theft

This cover is the same as Third party only, but is extended to cover your vehicle in the event of an electrical fire or its theft.

Fully Comprehensive

Cover includes third party fire and theft as well as cover for damages to your vehicle in the event of a collision.

How do Insurance companies decide on what you pay?

Your Age

Young drivers are particularly costly for insurers to cover as the number of collisions they have had are historically high. Insurance premiums all as you get more experience.

Your address & where the vehicle is kept

You must provide the correct address where the vehicle is kept. Parking in a driveway or locked garage, reduces the risk of theft.

Your Profession

Some professions carry a higher risk of large claims than others. You must truthfully declare what you do for a living.


The more time you spend on the road the more likely to are to have or cause an accident, meaning your premium will increase the more you drive.

Classes of Use

Social, Domestic & Pleasure

Provides covers for the named drivers for social, domestic and pleasure use only, so a trip to the shops or a friends is covered.

Social, Domestic, Pleasure & Communing

Covers the drive to and from a permanent place work.

Business & Commercial use

If you intend to use a vehicle for more than simply commuting to work, then you will require either a commercial policy or cover for business use.

Other insurance terms explained:

No Claims Bonus/Discount

Is a discount given by an insurer to policyholders who don’t claim on their policy. The NCB increases annually and reduces the cost of your premium.


The excess is amount you pay if you are making a claim from your own policy. You will pay this to the insurer before they pay the reminder. Usually £250.00.

Translate »