I have been a Driving Instructor for 16 years and in recent times I have found more and more of my pupils struggling with passing their theory test. (Provided by Ann McKiver, Approved Driving Instructor)
However, if you follow these simple steps you should find yourself on the road to success without too much stress.
- There are lots of revision material available. The Highway Code can be downloaded free on https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/highway-code-downloadable-version
- Be careful when purchasing apps, especially if they are free, as some are better than others.
- When you are out on the road with others watch out for road signs and markings.
- Keep practising. Try to be scoring full marks in mock tests before you go for the real thing.
On the Day
- You must bring both parts of your licence (picture & paper). If you don’t have these with you, you won’t be allowed to sit your theory test.
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes early.
Some test centres do not have convenient parking places. When you arrive at the test centre you are provided with a locker to put your belongings in.
Part One: Theory Questions
The pass mark for the multiple-choice questions is 43 out of 50.
- Read the questions carefully. It can be a good idea to read them twice. You can flag any you are not sure of.
- At the end read through all your answers again.
Part Two: Hazard Perception
After you finish Part one you can have a three-minute break before starting the Hazard Perception. You must stay in your seat during this time. There are 14 one-minute video clips that show various hazards as they develop. Thirteen of the clips will only have on hazard, but in one there will be two hazards to look out for. The Hazard Perception pass mark is 44 out of 75.
- Click the mouse when you see a hazard develop. You don’t need to put the cursor on the hazard.
A hazard is anything that will make you, as the driver, change speed or direction.
- The earlier you click the higher your score.
You must score a pass in both sections of the Driving Theory Test to pass the overall test.
What is the current Driving Theory Test pass rate in the UK?
The 2022/23 pass rate is 40.7%*, which means just over half of all people who sit their Theory Test fail it.
|Theory Test Pass Rate|
*2022/23 YTD (April – Sept)
When you are ready you can book your DVSA Theory Test.